Manufactured Consent is the engine behind “The Master Spell That Binds Us all™.” That Master Spell in the United States is the 1950s version of the American Dream and all of the ways this foundational distortion of the American Dream has ended up hijacking virtually every sector of American society. In many other democracy-centered republic it’s the same dynamic in a slightly different form. It’s that country’s own version of a faulty happiness formula — most likely an outgrowth the 1950s version of the American Dream as well — that undermined that country’s founding vision.
Why? Because in the 1950s the United States was seen in many places around the world as a beacon of liberty, hope, prosperity and democracy. And because of this, what the United States did, many many others in the world sought to follow.
And what is the vision that virtually all democracy-centered republics have in common? It is to create:
- A society that functions at the intersection of preserving individual freedom AND promoting the common good; AND
- A government that’s mandated to be a servant to its citizens rather than itself or special interests, and whose most sacred task is to steward regulations that transparently navigate in wise ways the seeming contradictions between individual freedom and the common good.
“The Master Spell That Binds Us all™ replaced this vision of a country and a government with the following vision:
- The pursuit of happiness was redefined as excessive consumerism because this was believed to be the solution that would keep the economy growing in peacetime following World War II while also minimizing the chances that what happened in Nazi Germany could happen elsewhere (both of which were very noble causes at the end of World War II!);
- Personal freedom was redefined as conformity to the “happiness lifestyle” that the Manufacturers of Consent who installed the 1950s version of the American Dream (and the equivalent happiness formula in other countries) — that lifestyle being about having all of the latest consumer conveniences, owning a home and a couple of cars, taking wonderful vacations, etc.;
- The common good (social responsibility) was redefined as overwork: working longer and longer hours, in jobs that one wasn’t necessarily passionate about, for companies whose values one didn’t necessarily agree with, in order to climb the corporate ladder, in order to make more money, in order to be a loving breadwinner whose family could enjoy the fruits of the 1950s American Dream
This is the faulty happiness formula that spawned the popularization of credit cards and the excessive consumer debt that accompanied this.
This is the faulty happiness formula that pressured more and more companies into unquenchable growth spirals that caused them to sacrifice social responsibility for profits.
This is the faulty happiness formula that invited more and more citizens into a state of resentment and learned helplessness, in which they looked to the government and companies to take care of them in return for all that the true happiness, family love, and integrity they were sacrificing in order to fill their part in making the 1950s American Dream come true.
This is the faulty happiness formula that gave the government the excuse it needed to over-regulate corporations (even the ethical ones), to become over-responsible for choices that individual citizens were making (even the self-responsible ones), and to therefore increase taxes in order to implement the over-regulation and over-responsibility mandate that the 1950s American Nightmare spawned.
Reclaiming your personal freedom and helping to bring about a more socially responsible society requires:
- Waking up from The Master Spell That Binds Us all™
- Getting really really clear about its anatomy, its repercussions, and the Manufactured Consent tactics that are being used to perpetuate it
- Reclaiming the original Freesponsibility mandate of all democracy-centered republics: defining the pursuit of happiness as the intersection between personal freedom and the common good;
- Not turning any group into “the enemy” but instead walking the talk ourselves and calling out into the open all forms of Manufactured Consent that are Hijacking the Original American Dream (or your country’s equivalent)
This website shows you precisely how to recognize Manufactured Consent tactics and the wide range of symptoms of The Master Spell That Binds Us all™. It shows you how to reclaim your power without becoming a tyrant. And, when it’s fully built out, it will help you connect and collaborate with others to co-create the social change that will enable your country and our planet to usher in a new golden age in which we finally manifest the self-evident truths embedded in the foundational principles of sustainable happiness and democracy-centered republics.
If you resonate with this you’ve found your tribe.